The fuel tank reminds us of a common tank wherein we get the fuel filled as and when required at the petrol pumps but there is much more meaning that this. It basically implies or relates to a portion of the engine wherein the fuel can be reserved and then further pushed into the engine. These tanks vary in their sizes and even its complication. Adequate design as well as the structure of a tank plays a vital role for making the system safe. This variety of tank can also be referred to as a container by which an engine extracts the required fuel.
After having a bird’s eye view of the fuel tank, let us have a brief insight of the important features, its various uses as well as its benefits and disadvantages.
Features: A tank needs to offer the undermentioned features and they are:
• The fuel should be stored in a manner to prevent leakage and even regulate radiations.
• The tank should be filled in a reliable and safe manner.
• There should always be a method to gauge the quantity of fuel present in the tank.
1. Automobile Industry- The fuel tanks are extensively used in this industry. For every vehicle a particular type of fuel system is build up. This is done in order to improve the usage of the space available. Smaller care will generally use a small fuel tank whereas big cars or trucks will be making the use of huge size fuel tanks. Generally the tanks in this industry are either made of metal or plastics.
2. Aircraft Industry- The tanks in this industry are majorly of three types; Fuel cells which are used by delicate aircraft as well as helicopters etc., removable tanks which as the name indicates are the ones which can be detached under inspection and are used by small aircraft, and the integral tanks which is very much a part and parcel of the aircraft assembling however cannot be detached and are made to use by large transport aircraft.
• It can assist the automobile technicians in designing.
• It is more strong and sturdy.
• These tanks have much more design tractability.
• It is cost effective
• Since the storage tanks are usually big, the cost of installing them is much higher
• Chances of moisture getting in and also very heavy.
No doubt, that fuel tanks in spite of being heavy are extremely significant for the industrial purposes yet their maintenance is what makes things smoother and less hazardous. And, so it is said maintenance is the secret to a happy and improved performance.